Monday, December 8, 2014

SHREM'S DOUBLE TROUBLE: "SAPPHIRE" /// "MAKING MUSIC" - Chungking


I can't quite believe it's 11 years since I fell in love with Chungking's music. The very first time I stumbled upon their ethereal "Making Music" flowing somewhere mesmerisingly between Goldfrapp's "Felt Mountain" and Burt Bacharach's evergreens, it immediately stole my heart. I closely followed all of the Brighton duo's happenings but Jessie Banks and Sean Hennessey treated us to only 2 full albums all through the years. Some of my favourite POP moments of the past decade belonged to Chungking, the exhilarating "Voodoo", Richard X produced "Slow It Down" or their delicate debut single "Bubble Love" to name just a few... Now the band returns as a trio (with Ben Townsend) with a subtle "Sapphire" - an elegantly produced slice of Chungking's very own, stylish take on folk music. Cosmic disco folk is what they'd rather call it. What a delight to have them back!

"Sapphire" is out now on iTunes.