Monday, June 10, 2013

SHREM'S LATE MONDAY NIGHT SESSIONS: "ONE'S COMPANY" - A K U A


So far 2013 has definitely been the year of house as well as the year of reinventing R'N'B. We also observed an avalanche of up and coming female artists pioneering this dynamically expanding urban flavoured scene. Moko, Lulu James, Kilo Kish, Rina Sawayama and now also A K U A have all been on my musical radar recently spoiling me with their fresh sounds spicing up the genre and re-twisting its often generic American standards. This Canadian songstress, describing her own sound as "remote soul", is off to a promising start with her debut EP "One's Company", co-produced by Andy Bauer of Twin Shadow. The title track literally left me flabbergasted, it's sooooo good! Love at first listen. I owe this wonderful discovery to the multi-eclectic disco naïveté, one of my absolute favourite blogs out there!

One's company by a k u a