Thursday, January 3, 2013

SHREM'S INSTITUTE OF LOST CLASSICS: "STAND ON THE WORD" - Joubert Singers

I have been literally haunted by this 1985 gem for weeks at this stage. First up I heard it at a dinner party where my friend Jonathan re-introduced me to this "disco pearl" which I could never remember the name of. A few weeks after I danced my socks off to "Stand on the Word" in my favourite of all Dublin clubs - Mother when it got played as the ultimate track of their flamboyant Saturday night extravaganza. Finally the song was featured in the incredible "Polisse" - a French drama directed by Maïwenn, Joubert Singers' track was suitably used in an almost cathartic scene. That's it I thought to myself, this will be the first track I shall post on my blog the moment I'm ready to revive it after its little post-festive season hiatus. Here it is in Larry Levan's phenomenal edit which reached a cult status at this stage. Happy New Year to all of you my lovely readers!